Thursday, August 16, 2007

Have Virgin Atlantic lost the plot

I have always been a great fan of Virgin Atlantic and apart from Singapore Airlines (definitely the best in the world) they have always been my preferred choice.
Most times they have been great, but they are slipping......
My mom visited me from South Africa and flew back last night (with Virgin of course). She is 76 years ols and suffers with asthma so I organised assistance. On all assisted flights the passengers need to be taken from check in to the aircraft in a wheelchair and assisted. On the flight over from South Africa, the Virgin staff were fantastiv, helpful and friendly, I expected the same from the UK.............
My mom flew back by herself and was taken by wheelchair through customs and then dumped on the other side to fend for herself. She had to walk carrying her bag with no assistance the massive distance to the aircraft (anyone who has flown from Heathrow will know what I am talking about). She had an asthma attack, but no-one cared.
On the other side in South Africa she was well taken care of by the Virgin staff as usual.
I thought that I would call Virgin Atlantic in the UK to raise a formal complaint and surprise, surprise was put through to a call centre in India. I don't live in India, I live in the Uk and would like to speak to someone from the UK. I hate these foreign call centres and have just changed banks to someone that has a call centre in the UK (we should all rally together and avoid using any company with foreign call centres).
Oh, by the way, it was a premium rate 0870 number and I had to sit listening through endless choices while the clock ticked and I paid. I got no joy from India and was eventually traced a UK number. I was put through to a woman called Emma who had a very offhand manner and told me in very specific terms that I could only be helped by someone in the UK if the flight was upper class or the passenger was a Gold Card member (my mom was neither). All other ecomomy or premium economy plebs have to speak to an Indian call centre....no choice.
If I wasn't happy with that, please email someone and wait for the standard auto responder....we apologise and really value your business....YEAH.
Now I don't know if Virgin is slipping or it is just the normal case of the UK no customer care attitude.
What do you think?

No comments: